It's recently been reported that the USA has the highest incarceration rate in the world. That may not be true -- who can attest for the rates in some of the more miserable nations? But it is certainly true that far too many of our countrymen are in prison. I'm rushing to class now in a few minutes, but may I ask a few questions to start discussion?
1. Might we cease pummeling the family already? Hasn't it had enough reinvention?
2. Might we return the words "unwed mother" and "illegitimate child" to popular use, as an act of clarity and charitable prudence?
3. It's said that boys are difficult to teach. Well, a lot of things in this world are difficult to do. If you can't do them, you don't take jobs that require it of you. If you're a teacher and you can't reach the boys, don't you think, in fairness, you ought to go to a girls' school or look for other employment?
4. Do you think we've had enough sapping of the boys' programs that once upon a time aimed to take the most troubled kids off the street?
5. What has happened to vocational-technical schools?
6. How can you pretend to "lead" people who, rather than follow you, turn to lives of crime?
That's for starters ....